California Cafe Asian Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1/2 x inch piece fresh ginger
- 1/4 c. water
- 1/4 c. soy sauce
- 1/4 c. rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 c. canola oil for deep frying, (approximate)
- 1 1/2 ounce rice stick noodles
- 8 ounce chicken breasts, (usually 2 small)
- 1/2 c. almond slivers, toasted, divided use
- 1 x carrot
- 2 1/4 c. Chinese, diced into bite-size pcs or possibly Napa cabbage
- 4 1/4 c. romaine, diced into bite-size pcs
- 1/4 c. red bell pepper, minced fine
- 1/4 c. green onion, minced fine
- 3/4 c. English cucumber, minced fine
- 1/2 c. snow peas, minced fine
- 1/2 tsp black sesame seeds
DirectionsTo prepare vinaigrette: Mince or possibly grate the fresh ginger; add in to water.
Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl and whisk.
Strain ginger from water, reserving the water and discarding ginger.
Add in ginger-water to vinaigrette; whisk.
To prepare salad: In deep pan, heat 1 inch of canola oil to about 375 degrees and deep-fry rice stick noodles; they will puff up immediately when done.
Remove to a plate with paper towels.
Turn off heat and remove pan with oil from burner.
Don't let oil heat beyond 375 degrees.
Rinse chicken and pat dry.
slightly between two pcs of plastic wrap so breasts are even in thickness.
Brush both sides of chicken breasts with small amount of dressing.
Grill or possibly saute/fry chicken in about 1 Tbsp.
of canola oil over medium-high heat till chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
Remove and let cold.
When cold, dice into bite-size pcs.
In a separate pan over medium-low heat, toast almond slivers till slightly browned; remove and let cold.
Peel carrot to remove skin; then peel eight long strips for garnish; set aside.
In a large bowl, toss together cabbage, romaine, bell pepper, green onion, snow peas, cucumber, and chicken pcs.
Toss again, adding sesame seed, half the almonds and the remaining soy vinaigrette.
To serve: Divide between two plates and place fried rice stick noodles alongside salad; garnish with curled carrot strips and remaining toasted almonds.