Zesty Ziti Bake
- 1 lb ziti pasta, or 1 lb rigatoni pasta
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped,
- 3 garlic cloves, minced,
- 2 sweet red peppers, diced, or 2 zucchini
- 1 can (28 ounce) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, dried
- 14 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 14 teaspoon salt
- 18 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 2 egg whites
- 1 container (15 ounce) part-skim ricotta cheese
- 23 cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 13 cup parmesan cheese, grated
DirectionsPreheat the oven to 325F.
Prepare the pasta according to the package directions.
Drain and transfer to a 3-quart casserole dish.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes, or until softened.
Add the zucchini or sweet red pepper, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, red-pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
Combine the egg whites and the ricotta in a medium bowl, stir to mix well, and spoon over the pasta.
Top with the vegetable mixture and sprinkle with the mozzarella and Parmesan.
Bake for 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown.