Spiced-Up Honey Cake
- 1 1/2 cups honey
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 2 teaspoons ginger, ground
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Directions1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
Oil a 12-cup Bundt pan or 13 x 9-inch rectangular cake pan.
2. First, make the cake: Combine the honey, oil, coffee, and vanilla in a small saucepan and heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is well blended.
Remove it from the heat and let cool.
3. Place the flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, coriander, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl and stir to blend.
4. Place the eggs and sugar in a medium-size bowl and beat with a mixer on medium speed until the mixture is pale yellow and very thick, 5 minutes.
5. Pour the honey mixture into the egg mixture and beat until well incorporated, 2 minutes.
Stop the mixer occasionally and scrape down the sides until fully incorporated, 2 minutes more.
Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan and bake until the cake springs back when lightly touched with your finger and toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then place the pan on a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes.
Run a long, sharp knife around the edge of the cake and invert It onto a rack to cool while you prepare the glaze.
6. Place the honey, sugar, and butter in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
Remove the glaze from the heat.
7. To glaze the cake, place it on a serving platter, Use a fork to gently poke holes all over the top of the cake.
Brush on the glaze, letting it seep into the holes and down the sides.
Serve the cake at room temperature.