Zucchini Soup with Curry Spices
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, sliced,
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped,
- 1 piece (1 inch) ginger, grated, fresh,
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste, freshly ground
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 4 cinnamon sticks, (optional)
DirectionsPlace a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer.
Bring water to a boil.
Add zucchini, cover, and steam until slightly tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir onion in the melted butter until tender and translucent, 5 to 10 minutes.
Mix grated ginger, cumin, coriander, mustard seeds, ground cinnamon, turmeric, cardamom, cayenne pepper, sea salt, and black pepper in a small bowl.
Mix spice mixture into onions until coated.
Mix zucchini into onion mixture; cook and stir until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes.
Pour vegetable stock over zucchini mixture; stir well.
Simmer until vegetables are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
Pour zucchini mixture into a blender no more than half full.
Cover and hold lid down; pulse a few times before leaving on to blend.
Puree in batches until smooth.
Pour soup into 4 serving bowls; garnish each bowl with 1 tablespoon cilantro and 1 cinnamon stick.