Southwestern Macaroni & Cheese
- 4 -6 cups water
- 1 cup whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 1 12 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon lime juice
- 12 medium onion, diced,
- 1 -1 12 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin, ground
- 1 12 teaspoons coriander, ground
- 1 12 teaspoons oregano, dried
- 18-14 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 -1 12 teaspoon red pepper, dried
- 14 teaspoon sugar
- 12 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 -2 large roma tomato, diced,
- 12 green bell pepper, diced,
- 12 orange sweet bell pepper, diced,
- 0.5 can (16 ounce) chili beans
- 13 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 13 cup nonfat milk
- 1 12-2 cups nonfat cheddar cheese, shredded,
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- 3 -4 green onions, diced,
- 1 roma tomato, diced,
DirectionsBring water to boil.
Add macaroni to water, cook 7-9 minutes, as directed.
In a large pan, saute olive oil, onion, garlic, lime juice, sugar, salt and spices at medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
Add tomato, green & orange peppers and chill beans.
Cook for another 3-5 minutes.
Add yogurt and milk.
Stir until well mixed.
Slowly stir in cheese and flour until cheese is melted and mixture is thick.
Remove from heat.
Add cooked macaroni, mix until thoroughly coated.
Sprinkle top with green onions and tomato, if desired, and serve.