- 4 -5 lbs beef brisket
- 4 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin, ground
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon oregano, dried
- 1 tablespoon sugar, granulated
- 1 tablespoon black pepper, ground
- 1 tablespoon white pepper
- 1 -2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 onion, sliced,
- 0.5 (6 ounce) canshiner bock beer, (or any dark ale)
- barbecue sauce
DirectionsMix all ingredients together in a small bowl, using large serving fork, pierce brisket all over.
Apply the rub liberally to all sides of a beef brisket.
Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator from 4 hours to over night.
One hour before cooking, remove brisket from the refrigerator, uncover, and allow it to sit and become room temperature.
Smoke brisket covered for 3 1/2 to 4 hours at approximately 275 to 300 degrees with fat side up without opening the smoker.
Place brisket on large sheet of heavy duty foil.
Spread a thinly sliced onion under brisket.
Pour 1/2 can of beer (Shiner Bock) into the foil and seal well.
Place into oven or smoker at 250 - 275 degrees and cook 4 to 5 more hours depending on size.
Remove from oven or smoker, loosen foil at one end to release steam, and allow brisket to rest for 45 minutes.
Drain juices into bowl and place bowl in freezer for ten minutes to de-fat.
Separate fat from juices and discard the fat.
Pour up to one cup of the remaining juices into a sauce pot with your favorite BBQ sauce and bring to boil.
Slice across grain on the diagonal into long, thin slices approximately 1/4 inch thick.
Serve with BBQ sauce.