Seafood Pasta with Lemon-Saffron Herb Dressing
- 12 ounces campanelle, (trumpet-shaped pasta) or macaroni
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed saffron threads
- 7 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh, divided
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons tarragon plus sprigs for garnish, fresh, minced
- 1 tablespoon dill plus sprigs for garnish, fresh, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound Dungeness crabmeat
- 2 large handfuls arugula
- 2 small heads butter lettuce
- Lemon wedges
DirectionsCook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally.
Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking liquid.
Place 3 tablespoons hot cooking liquid in medium bowl.
Sprinkle saffron over and let stand at room temperature 5 minutes.
Transfer pasta to large bowl.
Drizzle pasta with 1 tablespoon lemon juice and 1 tablespoon oil; toss to coat.
Let stand at room temperature until cool, stirring occasionally.
Add mayonnaise, sour cream, green onions, capers, minced tarragon, minced dill, sugar, remaining 6 tablespoons lemon juice, and remaining 5 tablespoons oil to bowl with saffron liquid.
Whisk to combine.
Season saffron dressing to taste with salt and pepper.
Pour dressing over pasta.
Add shrimp and celery; toss to coat.
Add reserved pasta cooking liquid by tablespoonfuls if mixture is dry.
Add crab; toss gently.
Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
Line platter with arugula and butter lettuce leaves.
Spoon pasta over greens.
Garnish with lemon wedges and tarragon and dill sprigs.