Bold and Spicy Gingerbread With a Kick
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, (2 sticks)
- 2 12 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus extra for pan
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 34 teaspoon baking soda
- 34 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons grond ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 1 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 14 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 12 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons ginger, grated, fresh
- 14 cup dark molasses
- 34 cup stout beer, such as Guinness
- 1 34 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons ginger ale
- 1 teaspoon ginger, ground
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees.
Grease and flour 12-cup nonstick Bundt pan.
Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl.
Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat until bubbling.
Stir in ground ginger, cinnamon, allspice and pepper and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Whisk eggs, sugar, and fresh ginger in large bowl until light and frothy.
Stir in melted butter mixture, molasses and stout until incorporated.
Whisk flour mixture into egg mixture until no lumps remain.
Pour batter into prepared pan and gently tap pan on countertop to release any trapped air bubbles.
Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
Cool cake in pan 20 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack set inside rimmed baking sheet and let cool completely.
Whisk confectioners' sugar, ginger ale, and ginger in bowl until smooth.
Pour glaze over cooled cake.
Let glaze set 15 minutes.
Cake can be stored at room temperature, covered in plastic wrap, for 2 days.