Fire and Spice Nuts
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder*
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 2 teaspoons ginger, ground
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, (preferably chipotle)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 2 cups walnut halves and pieces
- 2 cups raw cashews
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup matchstick-size strips crystallized ginger
DirectionsPosition 1 rack in top third and 1 rack in center of oven; preheat to 225F.
Line 2 heavy large baking sheets with parchment paper.
Stir first 7 ingredients in small bowl to blend.
Whisk egg whites in large bowl until foamy.
Whisk in spice mixture.
Add pecan halves, walnut halves and pieces, and raw cashews; toss to coat completely.
Sprinkle sugar over and toss to coat.
Divide nut mixture between prepared baking sheets; spread nut mixture in single layer.
Bake until nuts are toasted and coating is dry, stirring every 20 minutes, about 1 hour 20 minutes.
Sprinkle nuts with salt to taste, if desired.
Transfer nuts to large bowl.
Mix in crystallized ginger.
(Can be made 1 week ahead.
Store airtight at room temperature.
) *A blend of ground anise, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, and ginger available in the spice section of most supermarkets.