Steve's Floribean Chicken Chili
- 5 pounds chicken thighs
- 1 onion, halved
- 2 carrots, halved
- 3 celery ribs, halved
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 pound red kidney beans, dried
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup each , chopped, (1/4 inch) onion and poblano pepper
- 8 ounces , diced, (1/2 inch) andouille sausage
- 1 tablespoon each coriander, ground, cumin and chili powder
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 4 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons each red-wine vinegar, molasses and chopped chipotle pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, fresh, chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- 1 each ripe mango and tomato, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Monterey pepper Jack cheese, Grated, optional
Directions1. Place chicken along with next 8 ingredients in a large, heavy pot; add water just to cover.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
Remove chicken to a bowl.
Strain the broth, return it to the pot and reserve.
Shred the chicken and reserve.
2. Add the beans to the reserved broth.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, about 45 minutes, skimming any foam.
Drain beans, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid; set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in a heavy pot over medium-low heat.
Add onions, poblano pepper and sausage; cook for 8 minutes.
Add coriander, cumin, and chili powder; cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring.
Add tomatoes, tomato paste, vinegar, molasses, chipotle, sugar, and the reserved bean liquid.
Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
Add diced tomato, cilantro, reserved beans and chicken.
Cook for 10 minutes longer.
4. Prepare garnishes: Combine sour cream and chives in a bowl.
In another bowl, combine the mango, tomato, and cilantro, salt and pepper.
Serve the chili topped with chive-sour cream, mango salsa, and cheese, if desired.