Zucchini Linguine with Herbs
- 4 pounds small zucchini
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced lengthwise
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds linguine, fresh or spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons tarragon, chopped, plus more for garnish or chervil
- 1 tablespoon lemon thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 8 ounces young pecorino cheese, freshly grated (2 cups), plus more for garnish
DirectionsUsing a mandoline, julienne the zucchini lengthwise, stopping when you reach the seedy centers.
You should have 12 packed cups of zucchini strands.
In a very large, deep skillet, melt the butter.
Add the zucchini and scallions, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until the zucchini is just softened, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta until al dente.
Drain, reserving 1 cup of the water.
Add the pasta to the skillet along with the chopped tarragon, thyme, lemon zest and pecorino cheese and toss well.
Add the reserved pasta water and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
Transfer to plates, garnish with tarragon and grated cheese and serve.