My Southern Mama's Italian Vegetable Soup
- 1 lb beef, ground
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped, (or more)
- 1 can (16 ounce) tomatoes
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 15 ounces red kidney beans, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 5 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon parsley, dried
- 12 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 12 teaspoon basil, dried
- 14 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 cup small macaroni noodles
- salt, SEE NOTE*
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated
DirectionsBrown beef in a large heavy kettle; drain.
Add all the ingredients except macaroni.
Bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add macaroni, bring to a boil again and simmer until vegetables are tender.
*At this point you'll want to taste for salt; the original recipe calls for 1 tsp but I think that's a bit too much.
Sprinkle with the parmesan cheese before serving.