Classic Fried Catfish With Jalapeno Hush Puppies
- 4 (6 ounce) catfish fillets
- 34 cup yellow cornmeal
- 14 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 14 teaspoon garlic powder
- vegetable oil
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal, (or add 2 teaspoons baking powder and 2 teaspoons salt to 1 cup of cornmeal)
- 12 cup self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar, granulated
- 12 cup onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- cooking oil
DirectionsFor the catfish, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, cayenne pepper and garlic powder.
Coat catfish with mixture, shaking off excess.
Fill large, heavy skillet half full with vegetable oil- Heat to 350 degrees F.
Add catfish in single layer, and fry until golden brown, about 5 to 6 minutes, depending on size.
Remove and drain on paper towels.
For the hush puppies, combine first five ingredients in bowl.
Stir in milk and egg until combined.
Preheat cooking oil to 350 degrees F in heavy skillet or deep fryer.
Drop level tablespoons of batter into hot oil.
Turning hush puppies frequently, cook until golden brown on every side, about 3 minutes.
Remove with slotted spoon.
Drain on paper towels.
Yields 2 dozen.