Orecchiette With Broccoli, Chickpeas, Onions and Tomatoes
- 1/2 pound orecchiette, (little ears) or rigatoni
- 1 large head broccoli, trimmed into small flowerettes, about 3 cups
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium-size red onion, diced, about 1 cup
- 1 13 cups canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 cups canned plum tomatoes, diced, (1 28- or 29-ounce can
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, (optional)
- black pepper to taste, Freshly ground
- 4 tablespoons Parmigiano Reggiano, grated, (optional) or pecorino
DirectionsCook the orecchiette in boiling water until tender but firm; drain.
Blanch the broccoli for about 2 or 3 minutes in boiling water until almost tender, then rinse in ice water to halt cooking.
Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick pan and saute the onion until it is soft.
Add the chickpeas and garlic and warm.
Add the tomatoes and broccoli and heat.
Stir in the drained pasta; season with salt, if desired, and pepper and serve, sprinkled with cheese, if desired.