Buttery Honey Cookies with Orange and Lemon Zest
- 1 3/4 cups pastry flour, whole wheat or white, or half whole wheat pastry, half white
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar, or splender with 1/2 cup nonfat milk powder and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons butter, unsalted softened, or half canola oil, half butter
- 1 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
DirectionsMix together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt in a small bowl.
Whisk sugar and butter in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
Add egg, honey, lemon zest, orange zest and lemon extract, and beat until blended.
Gradually add the flour mixture, beating on low speed just until combined.
Cover and refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
Preheat oven to 375F.
Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats, or coated with cooking spray.
Roll the dough into 36 balls (about 2 level teaspoons each) with your hands.
Arrange 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
Make about 36 cookies.
Bake, one batch at a time, until puffed and beginning to crack, about 7 minutes.
Cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Store in an air-tight container, and they can be frozen well too.