Portuguese Baked Fish
- 1 12-2 lbs haddock fillets, can use cod, flounder etc
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped,
- 2 celery ribs, chopped,
- 1 can (15 ounce) tomatoes, diced, undrained
- 12 cup vegetable juice, or 12 cup tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 12 teaspoon sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
DirectionsPreheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a baking dish.
Place fish fillets in the baking dish, lightly sprinkle w/ salt & pepper and set aside.
In a skillet, melt butter, then saute the onions, celery and tomatoes in butter until tender.
To skillet, add veg juice, lemon juice, sugar, garlic and bay leaf; cook over medium heat for 3 minutes.
Remove bay leaf from sauce.
Pour this sauce evenly over fish fillets in the baking dish.
Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until fillets are opaque.