Forevermama's Chocolate Chiffon Cake With Coffee Butter Frosting
- 1 cup egg white, (7-8)
- 12 cup unsifted unsweetened cocoa
- 34 cup boiling water
- 1 34 cups sifted cake flour, (sift flour before measuring)
- 1 34 cups sugar, granulated
- 1 12 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 cup salad oil
- 7 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 teaspoon cream tartar
- 13 cup butter, softened or 13 cup regular margarine
- 3 12 cups sifted confectioners' sugar, (sift sugar before measuring)
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 3 tablespoons hot milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla, or 1 teaspoon rum extract or 1 teaspoon brandy flavoring
In large bowl of electric mixer, let egg whites warm to room temperature - about 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place cocoa in small bowl; add boiling water, stirring until smooth.
Let mixture cool about 20 minutes.
Into a 2nd large bowl, sift flour with granulated sugar, soda and salt.
Make a well in center; pour in salad oil, egg yolks, vanilla and cooled cocoa mixture.
With spoon or electric mixer, beat just until smooth.
Sprinkle cream of tartar over egg whites.
With mixer at high speed, beat until very stiff peaks form when beater is slowly raised.
Do not underbeat.
Pour batter over egg whites; with rubber scraper or wire whisk, gently fold in just until blended.
Turn batter into ungreased 10-inch tube pan.
Bake 60 minutes, or until cake springs back when gently pressed.
Coffee Butter Frosting:.
In a medium bowl, combining butter, sugar, coffee, 2 tablespoons hot milk and the vanilla.
With electric mixer at medium speed, or wooden spoon, beat mixture until smooth and fluffy.
If frosting seems too thick to spread, gradually beat in a little more hot milk.