Gluten Free Thick Clam Chowder
- 6 whole Slices Thick Bacon, Diced,
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 whole Onion, Diced, Or Leek
- 6 whole Celery, Diced,
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Pepper, Or To Taste
- 51 ounces, weight Canned Clams
- 3 pounds Russet Potatoes, Diced, Peeled And
- 1- 1/2 cup Cream, (Milk Works Too But The Soup Will Be Browner) Or Half-and-Half
- 3/4 cups Scallions, Sliced And Reserved (Optional)
DirectionsPlace bacon in a large stock pot over medium high heat.
Brown bacon and remove to a paper towel.
Drain fat out of the pot but leave the brown bits.
Add butter and onion to the pot.
Cook onion until caramelized.
Then add the celery, thyme and pepper.
Drain clam juice off the clams and add juice to the pot.
Add potatoes to the mixture and stir.
Cover with a lid and cook over medium low heat or just barely simmering, until potatoes are fork tender.
When potatoes are soft, remove pot from heat and use a potato masher and smash half of the potatoes until the mixture is thick.
Add clams, the cream or half-and-half to the pot and stir soup well.
Place clam chowder into bowls and top with crumbled bacon and scallions.