- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg, ground
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1 can whole (8 ounce) cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup margarine
DirectionsPreheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
Spray or grease a 12 cup and 6 cup muffin tin.
Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, orange peel, nutmeg, cinnamon and ginger.
Cut in shortening; stir in juice, vanilla, eggs, cranberries and nuts.
Pour into muffin cups and bake for 25 minutes or until brown.
Prepare the topping in a saucepan over low heat by whisking together the cranberry sauce, brown sugar and margarine.
Cook until heated and smooth.
Remove from heat and serve as a spread for the muffins.