Flaky Hot Cherry Pepper Biscuits With Cheddar Cheese
- 1 12 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 13 cup vegetable shortening
- 34 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded,
- 3 tablespoons cherry peppers, seeded and chopped (the red and green hot pickled variety, not the kind in oil)
- 4 slices bacon, (cooked crisp and crumbled) or 14 cup ham (finely chopped)
- 12 cup milk, chilled
DirectionsPreheat oven to 425 degrees.
Combine flour, baking powder and sugar in food processor.
Blend in shortening by pulsing on and off until mixture resembles coarse corn meal.
Put mixture in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
Stir in cheese, peppers and bacon or ham.
Add milk and mix until just blended.
Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead lightly, about 10 turns.
Roll or pat dough to 1/2-inch thickness.
Cut into 2-inch rounds with a biscuit cutter.
Gather scraps, reshape and cut into rounds.
Place biscuits on an ungreased cookie sheet 1 inch apart.
Bake in oven for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Transfer to cooling rack for 5 to 10 minutes and serve hot.