Cape Malay Sosaties (Kabobs)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped,
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, chopped
- vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 whole cloves
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup white wine
- 12 cup apple cider vinegar
- 12 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1 cup tamarind juice, (or substitute 1/2 cup strained fresh lemon juice combined with 1/2 cup water)
- 1 12 lbs skinless chicken breasts, boneless, (beef or lamb can be substituted)
- 1 cup apricots, dried, softened in boiling water or 1 cup dried prune
- 1 onion, cut into quarters softened in water
DirectionsSaute the garlic and ginger in oil until soft, about one minute.
Add dry ingredients and stir for approximately 30 seconds; then add the remaining liquids.
Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
Remove from the heat and let cool.
Skewer meat alternating with apricots and onions (red peppers can be used for more color and flavor).
Cover skewers with cooled marinade.
Cover and marinate overnight or up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Grill the skewers over high heat basting with the leftover marinade.
The marinade can be used as a sauce, simply boil for 3 minutes.