Ham and Smoked Sausage Jambalaya
- 1 lb ham, cubed (about 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 lbs smoked sausage, sliced (about 1/4-inch coins)
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped,
- 12 cup green pepper, chopped,
- 12 cup parsley, chopped, fresh,
- 2 celery ribs, chopped,
- 5 garlic cloves, chopped,
- 3 tomatoes, chopped,
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups long-grain rice, uncooked
- 4 12 cups water
DirectionsIn a large dutch oven with a tight cover (to be used later), brown the ham and sausage, then pour off some of the fat.
Be patient with the browning, it takes a while but it's worth it.
Add the onion and cook until it's soft (about 3 minutes).
Add the green pepper, parsley, celery, garlic, tomatoes, thyme, and bay leaves.
Season with salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil and cook/stir for about 5 minutes.
Add the rice and the water.
Cover and allow to simmer on low heat for 25 minutes.
Don't uncover the pot until the end of the cooking when you check for doneness.
You'll know it's done when the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed.
Fluff and serve.