- 1/4 cups Olive Oil, Plus 2 Tablespoons, Divided
- 4 whole Mild Italian Sausage Links
- 1/2 cups Water
- 1 whole Large White Onion, Chopped,
- 1 whole Red Bell Pepper, chopped,
- 1 whole Orange, Chopped, Or Yellow Bell Pepper
- 5 cloves Garlic, Minced,
- 1 can Crushed, 14.5 Ounces Or Diced Tomatoes
- 2 cans Chicken Stock, 14.5 Ounces Each
- 1 teaspoon Basil, Dried
- 1/2 teaspoons Oregano, Dried
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoons Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoons Red Chile Flakes, Dried
- 2 cups Dry Pasta, (small Shells, Ditilini, Or Mini-pasta)
- 1 can (15 Oz. Size) Great Northern Beans
- 1 cup Peas, Frozen, Thawed
- 1/2 cups Parmesan Cheese, Grated
DirectionsHeat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large heavy pot on medium high heat.
Brown sausage on all sides.
Add the water, reduce heat, cover and cook until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Remove from the pot and reserve.
When cool, slice into 1/4 inch rounds.
Discard water from the pot and return to the burner.
Heat the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil over medium heat.
Add onion and saute for 10 mintues.
Add peppers and saute for another 10 minutes.
Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes, stock, sausage slices, and seasonings.
Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in lots of boiling, salted water until almost done (1 minutes less than the package says for al dente).
Drain and rinse.
Add beans to the soup and simmer for 15 minutes.
Add pasta and peas and simmer for 10 minutes.
Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.