Curried Winter Vegetable Soup
- 1 12 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 large leek, chopped,
- 4 cups chicken, or 4 cups vegetable stock
- 4 chicken thighs, boneless, (or leftover chicken)
- 1 cup chicken thighs, boneless, (or leftover chicken)
- 12 cup red lentil
- 1 waxy potato, diced, peeled and
- 1 sweet potato, diced, peeled and
- 1 medium turnip, diced,
- 1 parsnip, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 carrot, sliced on the diagonal
- 14 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped, (optional)
- 14 teaspoon cayenne pepper, (optional)
DirectionsBrown chopped chicken.
In a medium soup pot, melt the butter or olive oil.
Add the curry powder and leek, and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
Add the stock and lentils.
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, covered, over medium heat until the lentils are soft, about 10 minutes.
Add the potato, sweet potato, turnip, parsnip, and carrot.
Simmer, covered, until the vegetables are soft but not mushy, about 25 minutes.
Remove the soup from the heat.
Stir in the coconut milk and cilantro.
Season with salt and cayenne.
Ladle into warm bowls.