Kittencal's Strawberry Shortcake
- 2 pints strawberries, fresh, (hulled and sliced, or use as much as desired)
- 12 cup sugar
- sweetened whipped cream, (use any amount desired for middle and top of the cake)
- 1 cup butter, room temperature (no substitutions)
- 1 cup sugar, (for a sweeter cake use more sugar)
- 4 large eggs, (MUST be room temperature)
- 14 cup luke-warm milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract, (or use strawberry extract)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
DirectionsWash and remove the stems from each berry then slice.
Place the sliced berries into a glass bowl, add in 3/4 - 1 cup cup sugar (the more sugar the better) toss with a spoon until well coated (the sugar will dissolve when chilled).
Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or up to 6 hours.
Generously grease two 8-inch round cake pans.
In a large bowl using an electric mixer at medium speed cream together the butter and sugar until well blended (about 3 minutes).
Add in eggs and extracts beat on medium speed for 4-5 minutes or until no sugar granules remain in the mixture.
Add in milk; mix until combined.
In a small bowl mix the flour with baking powder and add to the creamed mixture; beat until combined.
Divide and spread the batter between the two prepared baking pans (batter will be thick! ).
Set oven to 350F (set oven rack to second-lowest position).
Bake for about 22 minutes or until cakes test done (do not overbake cakes).
Cool the cakes slightly in pan then invert each cake onto a plate to cool completely.
Place HALF of the strawberries with a little juice over the top of one cake, then dollop HALF of the whipped cream.
Top with the other cake, then strawberries and top with remaining whipped cream.