- 2 boule, about 9 inches, sesame seeds on top preferred or Italian round loaves
- 1 pound thinly sliced aged provolone cheese
- 1 pound thinly sliced mortadella
- 1 pound thinly sliced genoa salami
- 1 pound thinly sliced hot capicola
- Olive Salad, recipe follows
- 1 cup oil-packed black olives, pitted
- 1 cup green olives, pitted
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, drained
- 1/4 cup capers, drained
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
DirectionsCut the loaves in half horizontally.
Drizzle some of the olive salad liquid on the bottom halves.
Dividing everything by two, layer the cheese, mortadella, genoa, capicola and then the Olive Salad on top.
Cover with the top halves, and then cut into pie-shaped wedges and serve to the masses.
Add the black olives, green olives, olive oil, roasted red peppers, capers, vinegar, crushed red pepper and sugar to a food processor and pulse until uniform but still coarse, about 10 times.
Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.