Green Tomato Cake
- 12 cup oil
- 12 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 14 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups green tomatoes, chopped, seeded and
- 12 cup maraschino cherry, drained, cut in half
- 12 cup raisins, dredged in flour
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- fudge icing
- 14 cup milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 12 cup butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
DirectionsPreheat oven to 350F Butter a 9x13-inch pan or two 9-inch cake pans.
In a large bowl, beat oil, applesauce, sugar, and eggs.
In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
Add tomatoes and cherries.
Stir and then blend into oil and egg mixture in three additions.
Add vanilla extract and stir.
Bake 45 minutes for 9x13-pan or until cake tester comes out clean.
Remove from oven; let stand on wire rack to cool.
FUDGE ICING: In a small saucepan, bring milk, brown sugar, and butter to a boil.
Boil 5 minutes.
Remove from heat; add icing sugar all at once.
Beat until shiny and ice the cake.
Decorate it with fresh fruit and nuts, if desired.