Venison Lasagne (Or Beef)
- 10 lasagna noodles, cooked (or more or less, depending on how much pasta you like)
- 1 lb venison, ground, (or beef)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced,
- 1 can (8 ounce) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounce) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons basil, dried
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- 12 teaspoon salt
- 12 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 cups cottage cheese, (or ricotta)
- 12 cup parmesan cheese, grated, divided
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced (or shredded)
DirectionsCook lasagne noodles according to package directions.
Drain and set aside.
For meat sauce: In a large saucepan or skillet, scramble-fry meat, onion, and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender.
Drain fat (if you're using venison, there likely won't be any -- that's my little plug for venison! ).
Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste and seasonings.
Bring to a boil.
Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
For Cheese Filling: Combine egg, cottage cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, and parsley.
Layer half lasagne noodles in a lightly greased 9x13 pan.
Spread with half the meat sauce and then half the cheese filling.
Sprinkle remaining Parmesan cheese on top and additional grated mozzarella, if desired.
Bake at 375F for 30-35 minutes and let stand 10 minutes before serving.