Chili Con Carne With Vegetables
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped,
- 4 teaspoons garlic, minced,
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 2 cans (28 ounce) tomatoes, chopped
- 1 can (5 1/2 ounce) tomato juice, (optional)
- 3 cans (15 1/2 ounce) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups green peppers, diced,
- 2 cups carrots, sliced,
- 2 cups celery, diced,
- 2 cups corn, frozen, thawed
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, (unsweetened)
- 3 tablespoons mild chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin, ground
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
DirectionsIn a large, deep, Dutch oven, saute the onion and garlic in the oil until softened.
Add the meat, and brown, stirring to break up pieces.
Drain any excess fat.
Add the tomatoes and their liquid and all of the seasonings.
Heat until bubbly, reduce the heat, cover and simmer about 30 minutes.
Add the beans and vegetables, simmer covered about 20 minutes longer.
*if it's not soupy enough, add 1 or more small cans of tomato juice.
*Can put it in a large crock pot after the meat is browned.
Cook as long as you need it to, I've cooked it on low for 8 hours, the carrots were a little soft, but fine.
You could probably cook it on High for 2 hours or so and it would be fine as well.
*I have used venison in this recipe with good results.