Clear Your Sinuses: General Tso's Chicken
- 1 large egg white
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons Chinese wine, or 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 lb chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 14 cup chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 15 dry red chili peppers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- 12 cup green onion, sliced
- 12 cup lightly toasted cashews, roughly chopped
- green onion, sliced on the bias, garnish
DirectionsIn a bowl, whisk together the egg white, 2 tablespoons of the cornstarch, 2 tablespoons of the wine, and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce.
Add the chicken and toss to coat.
Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for up to 2 hours.
To make the sauce, in another bowl, whisk remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of the chicken stock until smooth.
Add the remaining 3 tablespoons chicken stock, 1 tablespoon wine, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and sugar and whisk to combine.
Set aside until ready to finish the dish.
Cook the chicken in 1 Tbs olive oil until chicken cooked through and lightly brown.
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat.
Add the chile peppers and stir-fry until nearly black.
Add the garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and 1/2 cup green onions.
Stir-fry until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
Add the chicken stock sauce, bring to a boil, and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens, about 1 minute.
Remove from the heat.
Arrange the chicken on a platter and pour the sauce over it.
Garnish with the cashews and additional green onions.
Serve with hot rice.