Eggplant (Aubergine) Lasagna
- 1 12 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 500 g eggplants, sliced lengthwise, unpeeled about 5mm thick (or 17.6 oz)
- 1 can (440 g) tomato puree, (or 15.5 oz )
- 1 can (440 g) tomatoes, drained and chopped (or 15.5 oz)
- 1 tablespoon oregano, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 12 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 12 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 12 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 12 cup ricotta cheese
- 12 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
DirectionsPreheat the griller.
Combine the lemon juice and olive oil and brush it on the eggplant slices.
Lay them in a single layer on a nonstick baking tray and grill both sides for about 3 minutes each or until golden brown.
Preheat the oven to 180C degrees.
In a bowl combine the tomato puree, tomatoes, oregano, basil, cayenne pepper and garlic.
In another bowl combine the parmesan and breadcrumbs.
Spoon one third of the tomato mixture into the base of a lasagne or casserole dish.
Sprinkle with one third of the breadcrumb mixture and cover with a layer of eggplant.
Spread half the ricotta cheese over the eggplant and continue to layer in the same order, ending with the breadcrumb mixture (in my case hopefully).
Scatter the mozzarella cheese over the top and bake for about 45 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
Serve with salad and crusty bread.