Black Forest Bread Pudding
- 13 cup butter, softened
- 12 ounces dark rye bread, (bread sliced 1/2 inch thick)
- 1 (12 ounce) packagepitted frozen dark sweet cherries, (you can also use a 16 oz. package)
- 2 packages (12 ounce) semisweet chocolate pieces
- 12 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 3 14 cups whipping cream
- 34 cup sugar
- 8 eggs
- 12 teaspoon almond extract
- whipped cream, (opptional)
- almonds, sliced, (optional)
DirectionsButter a 3 quart rectangular baking dish with some of the butter.
Spread remaining butter on bread slices.
Place bread slices in baking dish, overlapping, if necessary, to fit.
Sprinkle with frozen cherries, half the chocolate pieces, and the cinnamon; set aside.
In a medium saucepan combine remaining chocolate pieces, 1 cup of the whipping cream, and the sugar.
Heat and stir till the chocolate is melted.
Gradually stir in remaining cream.
Beat eggs in a very large bowl.
Stir in melted chocolate mixture and almond extract.
Slowly pour over bread in dish.
Cover and chill 2 hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Uncover bread pudding and place baking dish on a foil lined baking sheet.
Bake for 70 to 80 minutes or until an instant read thermometer register 160 degrees when inserted into middle.
Cool on a wire rack at least 45 minutes.
Garnish with whipped cream and almonds.