Chilled Zucchini Soup with Purslane
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 small onion, sliced, thinly
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced, thinly
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 small zucchini, (3 pounds), thinly sliced, plus long zucchini shavings for garnish
- Kosher salt
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons basil, finely shredded
- 2 cups ice
- pepper, Freshly ground
- 2 cups purslane, or baby arugula
DirectionsIn a large saucepan, heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat until translucent, about 8 minutes.
Stir in the thyme and bay leaf and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Add the sliced zucchini, season with salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 10 minutes.
Add the water and bring to a boil.
Remove the saucepan from the heat.
Discard the bay leaf and stir in the shredded basil.
Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until very smooth.
Transfer the zucchini puree to a large bowl.
Stir in the ice.
Refrigerate the zucchini soup for at least 3 hours, until thoroughly chilled.
Season the soup with salt and pepper.
Ladle into shallow bowls and top with a small handful of purslane and zucchini shavings.
Drizzle with olive oil and serve.