Provencal Fish Stew
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 shallots, sliced, thinly
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped,
- 1 tablespoon coriander seed
- 2 cans (14 ounce) tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons Pernod
- 2 slices orange peel
- 1 sprig thyme
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 14 cups fish stock
- 1 lb live mussels, scrubbed clean
- 1 12 lbs white fish fillets, cut into 2in pieces
- 12 ounces squid, cleaned and sliced into rings
DirectionsHeat the olive oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan.
Add in the shallot, garlic and coriander seeds and fry gently until the onion is tender and translucent, around 5 minutes.
Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, Pernod, orange peel, thyme and a little salt and pepper and simmer down until thick.
Now stir in the fish stock and bring up to the boil.
Reduce the heat, simmer for 2 minutes, taste and adjust the seasoning and your stew base is ready.
Bring the base back to the boil.
Add the mussels, cover and cook for about 3 minutes.
Now add the fish and the squid, cover again and simmer gently for a final 2-3 minutes until the mussels have all opened.
Serve at once.