Spicy Stir-Fried Tofu With Corn, Green Beans and Cilantro
- 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Shao Hsing rice wine, or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons dark Asian sesame oil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt, (to taste)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper, ground, preferably white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced, seeded and
- 1/2 pound baby green beans, trimmed and broken in half if very long
- 2 ears corn
- 2 tablespoons scallions, minced
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
DirectionsCut the tofu into 1/4-inch matchsticks, and place them on paper towels.
Place another paper towel on top, and prepare the remaining ingredients.
In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the soy sauce, rice wine or sherry, and the sesame oil.
Combine the salt, pepper and sugar in another small bowl.
Have all the ingredients within arms length of your pan.
Bring a medium saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil, add the green beans and blanch one minute.
Transfer the beans to a bowl of cold water, drain and dry on a kitchen towel.
Heat a 14-inch flat-bottomed wok or 12-inch steel skillet over high heat until a drop of water evaporates from the surface within a second or two.
Add 1 tablespoon of the oil to the sides of the pan and tilt the pan to distribute.
Add the tofu.
Stir-fry one to two minutes until it begins to color.
Add the garlic, ginger and jalapeno, and stir-fry for no more than 10 seconds.
Add the remaining oil and then the green beans, corn and scallions.
Stir-fry for one minute.
Add the salt, pepper and sugar, and toss together.
Add the soy sauce mixture.
Cover and cook 30 seconds.
Uncover, add the cilantro and stir-fry for another 30 seconds to a minute until the green beans are crisp tender.
Remove from the heat and serve.