Mexican Pickled Carrots (Escabeche)
- 10 carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally
- 6 -8 small radishes, quartered
- 2 green jalapenos, fresh, with seeds, sliced thickly crosswise
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced, thinly
- 2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 1 medium white onion, sliced, thinly
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 teaspoon sugar, granulated
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 5 bay leaves
- 12 teaspoon black peppercorns
DirectionsPlace the sliced vegetables in a non-reactive container that has a tight-fitting lid.
Combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
Pour the hot pickling liquid over the vegetables and allow to cool at room tenmperature.
Discard any leftover liquid.
When cool, cover and refrigerate the pickles for at least 3 hours.