- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cardamom seeds, ground
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander, ground
- 1 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds, ground
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon pasilla chiles, ground
- 1 teaspoon turmeric, ground
- 6 each chicken breast halves, boneless, skinless
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 cup sweet yellow bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cups sweet red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cups green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large bananas ripe, sliced, peeled
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon garlic fresh, minced,
- 2 tablespoons ginger fresh, minced,
- 2 tablespoons flour, all-purpose
- 2 teaspoons flour, all-purpose
- 1/4 cup cilantro fresh, chopped,
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno pepper seeded and
- 14 1/2 ounce tomatoes, diced
DirectionsCombine the seasoning mix ingredients in a small bowl.
Sprinkle each side of each chicken breast with 1/2 teaspoon of the seasoning mix and rub it in well with your hands.
Heat the oil in a large skillet or 5-quart pot over high heat just until the oil begins to smoke, about 4 minutes.
Brown the seasoned breasts (in batches if necessary) about 2 to 3 minutes per side, then remove them from the pan.
The oil and tumeric give the chicken a yellow-gold color that is really dramatic.
To the same skillet (or pot) add 1 cup of the onions, 38 cup of each color of bell pepper, the banana (see note), and the remaining seasoning mix.
Cook, stirring and scraping occasionally, for 10 minutes.
If necessary to prevent burning, add 1/4 cup stock and deglaze the pot scraping to loosen any brown bits): you may have to lower the heat to medium.
Add the garlic ginger and flour and stir until the flour is thoroughly absorbed.
Add the remaining bell peppers and onions, the cilantro and the jalapeno peppers.
Cook for 5 minutes, then add the tomatoes and the remaining stock and return the chicken and accumulated juices to the pan.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer until the chicken is done, about 10 minutes.