Rose's Hummingbird Cake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar, granulated
- 12 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 1 14 cups vegetable oil
- 1 12 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 -6 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 (8 ounce) cancan crushed pineapple, drained (reserve 1/4 cup juice to add to batter)
- 34 cup pecans, coarsely chopped, toasted
- 14 cup black walnut, coarsely chopped, toasted
- 1 package (8 ounce) cream cheese, softened
- 1 package (3 ounce) cream cheese, softened
- 12 cup unsalted butter, (1 stick)
- 3 34 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 34 cup pecans, chopped, toasted or 34 cup walnuts
- 12 cup toasted coarsely chopped pecans, for garnishing top of cake or 12 cup walnut halves
DirectionsPreheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) round cake pans.
To make the cake, sift flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon together several times.
Put into mixing bowl.
Add eggs and vegetable oil.
Stir until dry ingredients are moistened.
Do NOT beat with a mixer.
Stir in vanilla, the crushed pineapple, the reserved 1/4 cup pineapple juice, the chopped black walnuts, and the chopped pecans, then add the chopped or mashed bananas.
Spoon the batter into prepared cake pans.
Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until cake tests done.
Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn cakes out onto cooling racks.
Cool completely before frosting.
For the Cream Cheese Frosting, beat cream cheese and butter at low speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
Gradually add confectioners' sugar, a little at a time, beating at low speed just until smooth.
Add the vanilla , and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute.
Stir in the 3/4 cup toasted and coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts.
Frost the tops of all 3 cake layers.
Place one frosted layer on a cake plate, top with second frosted cake layer, then top second cake layer with the third frosted cake layer.
Frost sides of cake.
Place either the 1/2 cup toasted and coarsely chopped pecans on the center of cake or place several walnut halves around edges of cake for garnish.
Store cake in the refrigerator and serve at room temperature.
Enjoy it the next day with a cup of coffee.