Mandarin Almond Salad
- 1 head romaine lettuce - rinsed, chopped, dried and
- 2 cans (11 ounce) mandarin oranges, drained
- 6 green onions, sliced, thinly
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- black pepper to taste, ground
DirectionsIn a large bowl, combine the romaine lettuce, oranges and green onions.
Heat 2 tablespoons sugar with the almonds in saucepan over medium heat.
Cook and stir while sugar starts to melt and coat almonds.
Stir constantly until almonds are light brown.
Turn onto a plate, and cool for 10 minutes.
Combine red wine vinegar, olive oil, one tablespoon sugar, red pepper flakes and black pepper in a jar with a tight fitting lid.
Shake vigorously until sugar is dissolved.
Before serving, toss lettuce with salad dressing until coated.
Transfer to a decorative serving bowl, and sprinkle with sugared almonds.