Shepherd's Pie With Cheesy Mashed Potatoes
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 34 cup milk, hot
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 34 cup cheddar cheese, grated,
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped,
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped,
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 can (19 ounce) tomatoes, drained
- 14 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 12 teaspoon thyme
- 34 cup breadcrumbs
- 12 cup peas, frozen
- 1 teaspoon paprika
DirectionsCook potatoes in boiling salted water 20 minutes until tender.
Combine with milk, butter, salt, pepper and cheese.
Cook onions and garlic in oil until tender.
Stir in flour, then milk.
Bring to a boil.
Cook 3 to 4 minutes.
Add tomatoes, breaking them up with a spoon.
Cook until thickened slightly, about 10 minutes.
Add seasonings, breadcrumbs and peas.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer mixture to a buttered 2-quart casserole dish.
Spread or pipe mashed potatoes on top.
Sprinkle lightly with paprika.
Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven for 30 minutes.