"extraordinary" Macaroni and Cheese
- 12 lb small shell pasta, (elbows,pipette,etc)
- 14 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, (1 small, chopped) (optional)
- 18 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, (I use seasoned salt)
- 3 cups milk, (I use skim)
- 1 12 cups cheddar cheese, shredded,
- 1 can (14 ounce) tomatoes, (diced or stewed, undrained)
- 12 cup cheddar cheese, shredded for top (optional)
DirectionsMelt butter in 4-qt saucepan over med heat.
Add onions and saute until transparent.
Stir in flour and salt.
Cook 1 minute stirring constantly.
Add milk, stir to blend.
Add tomatoes, juice and all.
Bring to a low, steady simmer.
Add uncooked pasta.
Cover and continue to simmer gently for about 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
(Mixture will thicken as it is cooking.
Remove from heat.
Stir gently until cheese is melted.
Let sit 5 minutes fefore serving.
Note: For a cheesier version put in a casserole dish and top with an additional 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese and broil until cheese is melted and just starting to brown.
For an Italian twist try substituting the Cheddar cheese with 1 Cup fontina cheese and 1/2 Cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese.