Nava Atlass Sweet Potato Tzimmes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, or other healthy vegetable oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced, quartered and thinly
- 3 large carrots, sliced,
- 3 large sweet potatoes, sliced, cooked or microwaved, then peeled and
- 1 large pear, sliced, peeled, cored, and
- 1/2 cup prunes, dried, chopped
- 1/4 cup apricots, dried, chopped
- 23 cup orange juice, fresh, preferably
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons or jarred ginger, fresh, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, (or 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated)
- 13 to 1/2 cup walnuts for topping, finely chopped, optional
DirectionsPreheat oven to 350 degrees.
Heat the oil in a large skillet.
Add the onion and saute over medium heat until translucent.
Add the carrots and continue to saute until the onion is golden.
Combine with the remaining ingredients except the walnuts in a mixing bowl and stir until thoroughly mixed.
Dont worry if the potato slices break apart.
Oil a shallow 2-quart baking dish.
Pour in the sweet potato mixture and pat in evenly.
Sprinkle the optional walnuts over the top.
Bake for 45 minutes, or until the top begins to turn slightly crusty.