Chilled Yellow Squash and Leek Soup with Coriander and Lemon Creme Fraiche
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup leek, chopped, (white and pale green parts only; about 1 medium)
- 1 teaspoon (scant) coriander seeds
- 1 1/4 pounds yellow crookneck squash, coarsely chopped,
- 1 can (14-ounce) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup creme fraiche*, or sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon peel, finely grated
- *Sold at some supermarkets and at specialty foods stores.
DirectionsHeat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat.
Add leek and coriander and cook until almost tender, stirring often, about 6 minutes.
Add squash; sprinkle with salt and pepper and saute until squash begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
Bring to boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer uncovered until vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth.
Transfer to bowl and chill uncovered until cold, about 3 hours.
Season with salt.
Whisk creme fraiche and grated lemon peel in small bowl.
Divide soup among bowls, drizzle with lemon creme fraiche, and serve.