Savoy Cabbage With Cider, Bacon And Carrots
- 1/2 pound slab smoked bacon, rind removed and diced small
- 2 medium onions, chopped,
- 4 medium carrots, diced small
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 large head savoy cabbage, halved and sliced into wide ribbons
- 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup apple-cider vinegar
- 2 Granny Smith apples, diced, peeled, cored, and
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
DirectionsIn a large, wide pot (8 quarts or larger), saute bacon over medium heat until fat is rendered and the bacon begins to crisp.
Add onions and carrots; saute for about 3 minutes.
Add garlic; saute for 2 minutes.
Add cabbage, caraway seeds, apple cider, vinegar, apples, bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste.
Saute, stirring, until the cabbage is tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
Add butter, and stir well.