Red Velvet Cake
- 2 12 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 tablespoons good quality cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 12 cups sugar
- 12 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 ounces red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 package (8 ounce) cream cheese
- 12 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup melted marshmallows, (you may use Fluff marshmallow creme to make it easier)
- 1 box (1 lb) confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
DirectionsFor the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans.
In a medium bowl or on a piece of waxed paper, sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together sugar and butter.
Beat in eggs one at a time.
Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk.
Beat in food coloring and vinegar, then add vanilla.
Spread the batter evenly in the pans.
Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Turn out onto a rack to cool.
Frosting: Blend cream cheese and butter together in a mixing bowl.
Add marshmallows and sugar and blend.
Fold in nuts.
Spread between layers and on top and sides of cooled cake.