- 4 Kirby cucumbers, ends trimmed, cut in half crosswise
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 scallions, chopped,
- 1 small onion, sliced, peeled and thinly
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 2 tablespoons salted shrimp, dried
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon crushed fresh ginger, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon hot red chili powder
DirectionsSlice each cucumber half as if quartering lengthwise, but leave the last half-inch intact.
Rub thoroughly with salt, and add the remainder from the cup to 1/2 cup water; allow the cucumbers to macerate in the salted water for 30 minutes.
Rinse and drain them for 10 minutes.
Mix together well the remaining ingredients, including the tablespoon of salt.
Place about 2 tablespoons of stuffing between the "fingers" of each cucumber half.
Place the cucumbers in a jar with a tight lid and add the remaining stuffing.
Leave at room temperature for 4 days and serve, reassembling the cucumbers with stuffing as necessary.