Clay Pot Catfish
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced,
- 1 tablespoon gingerroot, chopped
- 12 cup boiling water
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 23 lb catfish fillet, fresh, cut in halves or thirds
- 1 green onion, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 4 sprigs cilantro, fresh, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 12 teaspoon pepper, ground, fresh
- 12 teaspoon chili flakes
DirectionsPlace the sugar in a 1-quart clay pot and add just enough water to barely wet it.
Place over moderate heat until the sugar starts to brown, about 3 to 5 minutes.
Stir once, then add the oil and garlic.
Stir for 1 minute, then add the boiling water, fish sauce and catfish pieces.
Turn the pieces so they're evenly coated with the sauce.
Reduce the heat to a soft simmer.
Cover and cook for 5 m inutes, until the catfish is firm and almost done.
Uncover, and continue to simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes, until the sauce thickens slightly.
Remove from heat and garnish with the onion, cilantro and pepper.
Serve right in the clay pot.
You do not need to use aclaypot, and iron pot will work too.