Chocolate salted caramel marble cake recipe
- 175 g (6.2oz) margarine
- 175 g (6.2oz) caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 175 g (6.2oz) self-raised flour, sieved
- 1 tsp baking powder, sieved
- 55 g (1.9oz) plain chocolate, melted
- 55 g (1.9oz) white chocolate, melted
- 200 g (7.1oz) plain chocolate
- 200 ml (7fl oz) double cream
- 250 g (8.8oz) light soft brown sugar
- 150 ml (5.3fl oz) double cream
- 140 g (4.9oz) margarine
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 sprinkling cocoa powder and/or popping candy
- 1 sprinkling sea salt crystals
DirectionsPlace all the cake ingredients into mixing bowl except for the chocolate and beat with a wooden spoon until well mixed (2-3 minutes).
Divide mixture into two and add melted dark chocolate to one half and white chocolate to the other.
Place alternate spoonfuls of mixture into a greased and bottom-lined 20cm (8 inch) cake tin, and gently swirl through mixture with a skewer.
Bake in middle of a pre-heated oven 170 degrees C, 160 degrees C fan, Gas mark 3 for 50-60 minutes.
Turn out, remove paper and cool.
To make icing, place sugar, cream and salt in a saucepan and heat until sugar dissolves and then bubble for 4-5 minutes not stirring.
Allow to cool for 10 mins and then beat in the margarine.
Chill in refrigerator until firm.
Split cake and sandwich together with half the icing.
Melt chocolate and double cream together and then chill until a spreading consistency.
Spread over the top and sides of the cake.
Chill remaining ganache till firm.
Form the remaining icing and ganache into truffles and roll in either cocoa powder or popping candy.
Use to decorate the top of the cake.
Sprinkle with salt crystals if preferred.