Crisp Spring Greens with Creamy Tomato Dressing
- 4 -6 cups mixed greens, cleaned, dried, and torn
- 4 -6 green onions, thinly sliced (include some green part)
- 1 -2 medium tomatoes, sliced, cored and cut into think wedges or
- 1 avocado, peeled, seed removed, immediately sprinkled with lemon juice juice and cut into think slices (option
- to taste blue cheese, Crumbled (optional) or to taste Roquefort cheese, at room temperature (for garnish) (optional)
- to taste crouton, Crisp toasted (for garnish) (optional)
- 12 cup tomato soup, undiluted
- 6 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar, (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon tomato base chili sauce, or 1 tablespoon catsup
- 1 12 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 12-1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar, (optional)
- 12 teaspoon onion, minced, peeled and
- 12 teaspoon garlic, minced, peeled and
- 12 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 14 teaspoon paprika
- 2 -3 drops hot pepper sauce, to taste (optional)
- 34 cup salad oil, (canola, corn safflower, or a combination)
- 35 % fresh cream
DirectionsPrepare greens, store in a sealed airtight plastic bag in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Arrange greens in individual salad bowls or on individual salad plates, dividing evenly.
Top each with sliced green onions and tomato wedges or slices.
Garnish each with crumbled blue or Roquefort cheese and/or crisp croutons, if desired.
Pass Creamy Tomato Dressing.
CREAMY TOMATO DRESSING Combine the first 9 to 11 ingredients together in a blender container.
Cover and blend at medium speed for 30 seconds; uncover and with the motor at low speed, gradually add oil, blending until mixture is smooth and completely mixed.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cover and increase motor speed to high; beat for 30 seconds.
Store, tightly sealed, in an airtight glass container or jar in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
NOTE: May use about 1/4 to 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil and 1/3 to 1/2 cup other salad oil, if desired.
The flavor of 3/4 cup olive oil is too intense for this dressing.
VARIATION: May add 1/2 crumbled blue or Roquefort cheese to prepared dressing, if desired.
Or, may add 1/2 cup crumbled cheese to dressing mixture while beating and then stir in 1/2 cup crumbled cheese after preparation, if desired.