Rice and Beans: Moros y Cristianos (Arroz con Habichuelas)
- 1 1/2 cups Goya dried black beans, (or canned pre-cooked)
- 3 cups long-grain white rice
- 1/4 cup olive oil, for sauteing
- 2 1/2 cups white onion, diced,
- 2 1/2 cups green peppers, very small dice
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped, crushed and
- 1/2 cup sofrito
- 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1 tablespoon cumin, ground
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 1/2 cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper
DirectionsCover the dry beans with water in a large pot.
Do not salt the water.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook until tender, about 1 hour.
Rinse the rice with cold water until the water runs clear.
Use a large, 8-quart covered stockpot.
Heat the olive oil and saute the onion and green pepper until tender.
Add the garlic and sofrito and saute another 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the tomato paste, black beans, oregano, cumin and bay leaf.
Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring gently.
Add the chicken stock and the rinsed rice.
Season with plenty of salt.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until rice is fully cooked.